The end is here... And it's flaming.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

the TRUE Queen Elizabeth: We will miss you.


It comes as no shock that we honor the greatest of actresses, Elizabeth Taylor, in this blog of all blogs. But tonight, I not only throw down my spoon, I eat a serving of humble pie with it.

I admit, shamefully, that in the past I have criticized the 'sanctity of marriage' by pointing out certain celebrities with many divorces under their belts (although in all fairness, Larry King still holds the record). But tonight, rather than mocking the 8 marriages Dame Taylor had, I instead pay homage to her legacy.

Most of us from my generation only know her from this movie or that, from this fragrance to that scandal. In fact, it was only a year ago that a friend suggested I watch "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf". Ever since then, I've said she deserves the oscar every single springtime.

But what she did for the gay cause, the AIDS cause specifically, was lend a hand, literally. At a time when people thought you could catch AIDS/HIV simply by touching a person, like it was the plague, Elizabeth Taylor came out against the hatred, saying "they're here, they're queer, and damnit I'm gonna hug them!" It may seem little today, but back then, it was huge.

I can say this personally, because I do have HIV positive friends in my life. I would hug them, share a glass of wine with them, and let them crash on my couch anyday. 20 years ago it was a disease. An illness. With Ms. Taylor's help and the acceptance of the world over, it's become as common as many other ailments. Are those who get HIV worse off? No. They're just given a better perspective on life, one that most of us take for granted.

In closing tonight's blog, I say this: Feel grateful. Feel blessed. I could SO EASILY say "oh woe is me, i hate my life, i have to leave the country in a few months." But, I'm lucky. I have a man I love, a way to live with him, even if it's across the world, good friends and family, health, and every opportunity in life.

Some say the glass is half full. Some say it's half empty. I say... I see a glass that's half as big as it needs to be. Put that in a shot glass, I'll down it, tip the bartender, call it a night, and thank God for giving me what I got as I walk home. It's still not perfect. But someday, I will rise up to heaven, have a drink of champagne with Elizabeth Taylor, and show her what she did.

Thank you Lizzie.. God Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home