The end is here... And it's flaming.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

When it rains, it pours. No seriously, in England that's true.


This is my first blog in 3 months, which is just shocking. God, 90 days ago I could have started P90X and had a six pack by now. Well that didn't happen. What did happen was I moved across the pond. Actually, it was more abandoning my old life and hoping the other country had something to help my life move forward. Sort of like the Pilgrims, in reverse. Would that make me a 'smirglip'? (you dont have to laugh).

I am amazed at how quickly I went from being Mr. "equal rights for all" and "let's get this marriage equality train rolling" to being Mr. "just enjoy this moment." Which sounds weird for me to say. But now that I am here, and settled in another country, I realize how selfish I was compared to others I've met along the way.

One of the couples I have kept in touch with that told me their story through immigrationequality.org, have been together for almost 20 years and adopted 2 kids from Africa. Just as their kids are about to enter kindergarden, Daddy #2 is about to be deported back to Brazil, away from his kids. I was bitching and moaning about having to sell my mercedes and move to london. How much of a douche am I right now?

A few nights ago I couldn't sleep and was lying in bed looking at the stars. I realized that yes, life may not be perfect. I still live in a world where a few right-wing fanatics can somehow control where i live and who I love. But think about it: The civil rights movement was less than 50 years ago. So were the Stonewall riots. Heck, I was in high school when the Matthew Shepard story made the front page. I remember vividly reading it and thinking "I don't want to be this guy, living in this world."

But Gosh darnit, I am lucky. And blessed. And grateful. (yes this is still the same blog, dont worry). I have a family that loves me gay or straight, as if it never made a difference. They didn't abandon me or kick me out, and instead welcomed the guy who loved me into their lives as if he were their own son. I met someone who loves me no matter what, and would have moved to the States in a blink if he could have. Somehow, that made it easier for me to move here. Just knowing it would have been fine either way.

Now sure, I will still continue to cover the celebrity divorces, the scandals, the jokes that prevent me and my husband from moving back to the states. But I have to remember, our time together is just a drop of water in the glass that has been the entire gay rights movement. Someday, we can tell our kids and even grandkids that things weren't always as easy. But we will smile, hug, and feel blessed that we as a young generation, stood up and said:

"we are the social media generation. We made Myspace popular, then made Facebook popular, then made Myspace look like the social outcast who can't get a date. But we became the generation that was no longer quiet. We became the generation that grew up on MTV, that learned to rebel in a non-hippy drugs sort of way. We became the generation that our parents set out to achieve 40 years ago. And all we needed was a few friend requests, a charged laptop, and the will to change an outdated world.

Someday soon this world will change. The underdog will get the final say. The deprived will get the microphone. And the loving will be allowed to love, without constraint or judgmental ruling.

Someday I can't wait for my kids, and my grandkids, to say to me, "It was just love. What was the big deal about that?"

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

James-You keep on living your life with grace and heartfelt happiness! Your positive insights are important for all of us to hear. We all need to remember what good things we have in our lives. Be happy and be joyous with your love!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Ms. Val Barsevich said...

James - You have always made me feel proud and blessed to know you! I've known you before the closet door creaked open....YOU have always been amazing and THAT is what the world needs to acknowledge - people are amazing in whatever package they come in. You are on the forefront of a shift in this world! Watch what happens! As an old auntie who has had to be careful with her closet door, I see a new world comin'! Enjoy the moments - big and small!
<3 and hugs to you and PJ!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home